There’s a lot of information floating around about how to train as a golfing athlete. The view is a simple one we are trying to create athletes that can play golf, not golf specific athletes.
There are two main principles when training for golf. First get strong, really strong! Then get fast whilst staying strong!
Here are 5 exercises to improve your strength for golf.
- Front Squats (works the legs)
- Incline Chest Press (works your chest and arms)
- Clean and Press (works your shoulders and arms)
- Snatch (works your shoulders and arms)
- Hammer Chin ups (works your back and arms)
These should be done in 4 sets of 8 repetitions with a weight that is heavy. You can start light to get the form but pile on the weight as soon as you can.
As you can see these are all power moves and exercises an Olympic power lifter would do! Notice how all the moves are explosive, just like the golf swing…..
Don’t be scared of this, you will see huge gains in distance and control of the club head.